Barns conversion project 2011 – 2013
We started the conversion of three dilapidated outbuildings in January 2011. The outbuildings were part of the former Ivy farm that had been dismembered over the past decades, its land and outbuildings sold in phases. Originally they were used for the storage and workings of the farm and then left to the weather to destroy. The roofs had suffered severe damage and the wood rotten. The date the barns were built is not certain, however they were depicted on the 1880 OS map and, in some form, on the 1840 Tithe map. The local craftsmen Kevin, Brian and Martin carried a thorough renovation of the barns, respecting the traditional character of the cornish cottage and bringing modern insulation concepts and a very good taste for details and high standard. At the end of February 2013 after just over two years the project was completed and the results of the transformation are outstanding.
Before it was given its current name, Barn number two was the most derelict of the outbuildings and probably the oldest as well, being already depicted on the map of Treen in 1840. It has a sub-rectangular shape. Originally used as an animal house, probably for calves and more recently converted into a workshop for the preparation of flowers to market and store. The roof had suffered severe slumping and cracking and part of the walls collapsed once we started its renovation. Many of the wooden beams were recycled from previous use in other buildings and in ships.
|Exterior view from South West||Exterior view from North West||Interior before the kichen||Roof tiling|
Gwennel barn is a single-storey building with two interconnecting rooms forming an inverted L-shape plan. The barn had been built in several phases, before 1840 it consisted of a small square shaped building where the current bathroom stands. Over the years further extensions were added to be finalised at ist current state betwen 1840 and 1880. The evidence from archeological survey indicates that the bigger room was a stable, probaby for a pair of shire horses, used for working the land, and a cart shed and/or farm machinery shed. The function of the smaller room on the SE is uncertain, perhaps some sort of pigsy or store. The massive beam still in situe in the barn may have a mining or maritime origin.
|Interior of Barn 3, with massive beam||Interior of Barn 3, current bathroom||Roof tiling||Original boundary with big granite blocks|
The little Barn “Kiji”
|Barn 1 esterior NW view||Interior of Barn 1 prior restauration||Original copper boiler used for the washing|